Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Cave in!



Well, we had a little scare the other day, i guess the weight of the snow on the run started to collapse the run! We knocked the 3 feet of snow off and it popped right back into place. I guess we figured it would just continue to hold but I think we were pressing our luck with letting it get that far. Yikes! The girls refuse to come out of the run even for treats. I'll have to send the people at Omlet a picture of the eglu (igloo more like!) It's too funny. Everytime I open the eglu to collect eggs, I'm so surprised how warm it is in there. Tonight it was 2 degrees F outside. We checked on the girls when we got home (super late from making chocolate truffles for a benefit) and the girls were snuggled together, poofed up in the feather coats and it was warm in there. I was so worried about the winter but they're doing great and we've had a hell of a winter let me tell you! The snow hasen't stopped, we've had 19 feet fallen so far, it's really ridiculous. Global warming's extreme weather is in full effect here in Colorado. Niko our Akita Rottie mix is in heaven!



Next week our chicks arrive and I spoke to the Post Office yesterday to let them know they were coming and gave them my cell number to call when they arrive, I think they're excited too. 5 Salmon Faverolles and a mixed bag of Cochins, blue, buff, black and I think white. I was talking to a neighbor about taking some chicks to thin the flock but maybe I'll keep them till they get a little bigger. We're all set up and ready to go. We've decided on putting the chicks in the laundry room because it's the warmest room in the house right now and it has a window with indirect light. I can't wait.

2 comments:

rosew said...

I've been thinking about getting an eglu or cube for raising several hens. How is it working out in the cold weather? Do you have to provide a heater?

I live in Windsor, NY - It gets cold here, but I'm sure it doesn't get as cold as it does in Aspen, Colorado!

Would appreciate any experienced info!

rosew@binghamton.edu
rosew@binghamton.edu

Anonymous said...

I'm in Littleton, CO - and had some questions too! I like the eglu and cube. We want 2-3 chickens. Do you think the eglu is big enough? Do you have to provide a heater in the winter time? I'm learning sooo much! Do you think the eglu is worth it? Please help if you can!!

Jen
WinWithCoupons@gmail.com