Thursday, February 14, 2008

One's not doing so well

One of the Salmon Favorelles isn't eating or drinking. We found her upside down under the heat lamp. When I examined her she isn't having normal growth, she had an empty crop and one of her eyes is terribly swollen. I'm not sure what to do. I've posted on a couple of sites but no reply as of yet. I'm not sure if I should separate her out of the box with the other chicks but I only have one light to go around. I held her in a paper towel and using a zip lock baggie (since I don't have a feeding tube) I tried to force her to eat. You have to be really careful when you do this because they can aspirate really easily. She took some liquid but any mushy solids she kind of pushed away. Baby Parrots are much easier to hand feed because they almost beg for the food. They open up real wide and "take" the food bobbing there heads so the food goes down quicker to their crops. No such luck with a chicken. I've been using the "dropper" method of bringing her liquid to her beak with my finger and she drinks but she is not well. The eye is getting bigger and I've never seen anything like this. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Can you take a 5 day old chick to the vet? Or should you let nature take it's course?

The extra rare breed chick that McMurray Hathcery sent us I think is a Old English Game fowl. Taken from McMurray website: They have their origins almost with the beginnings of history. With the outlawing of cockfighting in England, the Pit Game was bred for exhibition. Modern Games were developed from the Old English and have an extremely high station with a rather peculiar style and carriage as a result. Modern Games are dubbed (have their combs cut) as chicks when used for showing.




This is our chick. What do you think?






1 comment:

bahensley said...

I raised birds for many years and I wish I was still doing so. I had chickens, canaries, love birds, Peking Robins, Lady Gouldians, etc
I came across your email and thought I might help with a suggestion. You may want to try some Black Strap Molasses. Put about a teaspoon full in a quart jar and dilute it until it looks like weak tea. Get a clean eye dropper or even a toothpick. And let the chick take as much as she can.
The Black strap molasses has iron and the sugar will sustain her and give her strength. It will also act as a mild laxative. I have also used this on ducks that had a mild case of duck botulism.
I am sure you know to keep them warm so that they can digest there food. It hard at this point to tell you whether or not you should use antibiotics.
Good Luck.

Barbara
Camarillo, CA