Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2+ more days and counting!

Two + more days to go. I removed the automatic turner this morning, given that it was a little over the 18th day. I put the eggs in at 4pm on October 26th and figured it took at least 3-4 hours for the eggs to get up to temperature. I started counting from the 27th being day 1 of 21 putting the hatch date on the 16th of November. But figuring the hatch date from October 26th, November 15th would be the hatch date around 7pm - ish. I put some unprinted newspaper paper on the bottom of the incubator, but not to cover the entire thing. I wanted to make sure that there was plenty of space for the humidity to get to the eggs/ chicks. The chicks will need the paper to assist in standing and walking. I a surface is too slippery they can injure their legs easily. I laid the eggs on their sides and the narrow/ smaller end tilted down and it was hard to keep them from rolling around a bit. I have to do everything to keep from hovering over the incubator and watching for anything, a sudden movement of some sort. But minute after minute nothing moves. No pipping. 2 more days!!! What am I going to do? I just have to get out of the house as much as possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog! I'm so glad to see you sharing your experience hatching your own chicks (you're braver than I).

We got our Barred Rock Urban Chickens as week-old chicks last Spring and have thoroughly enjoyed raising them in an Eglu (like yours).

Can't wait to read about your hatching experience. Keep up the great posts.