Monday, November 12, 2007

4 days left!!



We're busy getting ready for the chicks. With only 4 days left there's a lot to get done. I have already ordered my brooder heater and thermostat control unit from www.shopthecoop.com. From McMurray hatchery I ordered my cardboard brooder ring and thermometer. I've candled the eggs two more times and can't believe the rapid growth. The embryos are almost doubling in size every day. I'm having trouble keeping the incubator at 102F it keeps coming down and settling on 100F. Which is scary since everything I read says we may have a late hatch and there may be problems with the chicks. Tomorrow I remove the automatic turner and lay the eggs down on their sides. You do not turn the eggs in the last three days of the hatch! This can cause many problems. Pretty exciting! The kids ask everyday "how many more days"? They can't wait. The excitement is growing and growing. Even our house guest is totally excited!

The girls outside are still happy, frisky and laying!

No comments: