Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sad day today.

Well, we gave up today. It was the 23rd day and still no action. Everyone is broken hearted. The whole household is very down. I unplugged the incubator when we got home from seeing a Peter Pan elementary school production. I removed the eggs and placed them gently in the garbage bin. Part of me wanted to open them and see what had happened but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I've been preparing myself since Friday that nothing was going to happen. I'd look in and see no action and not be surprised. It was easier to expect nothing rather then keeping my hopes up and being crushed all over again. It's sadder still because we're all set up for chicks and the kids were so excited as well.

We came to a family decision. We talked about it and decided to go with chicks instead of eggs. We just couldn't go through this heartbreak all over again. I checked online tonight on Murray McMurray's site to see what chicks would be available and I saw that they'd posted chicks for spring availability and we decided to go for it. We picked out chicks! So I guess it's a bittersweet day. A little patience and come February we'll be knee high in 25 baby chicks! It's a sure thing going with baby chicks no more heartbreak of 21 days with no results. This is instant gratification, well sort of (3 months later). But this way the chicks will be 4 months old and ready to go outside by the time the snow starts melting. We ordered 5 female Salmon Favorelles, 5 St.run White Cochins, 5 St. run Dark Brahma, 5 St. run Blue Cochins and 5 St. run Partridge Cochins. St. Run are male and females (you don't have any idea what you're going to get). We'll raise them all and then when the males get to big we'll find them homes.

On a lighter side: We had another 3 egg day! The girls were busy digging a hole in their run this morning while I was sleeping in. They almost dug under their predator proof wiring. It comes 6"out flat on the ground from the run to deter predatory animals from digging around/into the run. I filled it in and placed a rock on top of the wiring to keep the girls safe.

We also received notice that our new chicken hutch/coop will arrive in 7-14 days from the Boston depot.

I want to say thanks to everyone that's been following our story and wishing us the best, we'll continue to post until we get the new chicks since we've got three beautiful hens to chat about and share their stories and pictures throughout the winter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sorry to read the news. I think I'd have done the same thing (not looking inside the eggs) faced with your situation. Can't wait to see what life will be like with 25 chicks underfoot in the spring.

In the meantime, I'm glad to see that ours aren't the only chickens trying to tunnel out of their Eglu. One of ours successfully dug her way out once, but she stuck close to the run since she didn't want to be alone. That taste of freedom doesn't seem to have whetted her appetite too much, but we're much more careful to keep the run perimeter patrolled for any potential tunneling spots.

Keep enjoying your unfertilized eggs. Can't wait to see how they do with the snow (something we won't have here in California).