Saturday, November 3, 2007

Peneolpe is Laying!!!

Yesterday was my birthday and what a great present, I went outside to check on the girls and Penelope was missing! I immediately went into a panic looking to see if she could have dug her way out of the predator proof fencing. No holes and then much to my surprise, Penelope's little face came poking around the eglu door from the nest. Probably to investigate whether or not she was missing out on some goods. I waited anxiously to see if she had laid. She came bolting out of the eglu right to the food and sure enough there it was! A teeny little egg, reminiscent of when Victoria and Sylvia started laying. I felt like such a proud parent! Penelope is the most spunky of the flock and she loves to chase the other girls. She runs across the yard with her feathers flying and goes darting toward the other birds. I thought it was a dominating behavior but it's strange that it's coming from her since she's the youngest and the lowest in the pecking order. So now it's been a two egg day, two days in a row!

Our new full length shade came as well yesterday and my long awaited door pin for the front door of their run. DHL delivered my box a bit bashed up. We were missing a corner square piece for the run and the door pin. Omlet sent them out no questions asked but they had to come from the UK so it took a little while. Yea I now get my screw driver back!

The clutch in the incubator is still doing their thing. I don't have a candling tool to check the eggs so it's going to be a waiting game. I keep checking in there for what I don't know. It feels kind of silly since there isn't going to be any action for two weeks. Maybe it's the mothering instinct to check in every once in a while. Surprise surprise, their still there!

No comments: